Panic

Panic



When I was 22, during my Hemingway adventure stage, I went on a mountain trek expedition south of the Grand Tetons in Wyoming.  We really didn't know what we were doing, but we were young, healthy and in excellent shape, so full speed ahead!

On one challenging mountain path, we literally had mountain rising on one side and immense drop off on the other side of an area about six or seven feet across.  It sloped toward the drop off side, but not badly and we were traversing it quite nicely … until some loose, gravelly rock broke loose beneath my right foot.  I started to slide inexorably toward the drop off, toward a fall that would kill me. I rolled to my side trying to get as much of my body engaged with the solid layer underlying me as possible, anything to get friction without accelerating the slide. As they say, although this took very little time, it etched in my memory as though it took a half hour.

With my feet approximately 1-2 feet from the edge, my body finally found the necessary solid resistance so desperately sought and the slide stopped.  I just laid there for a bit catching my breath, letting my blood pressure drop, my sky rocketing pulse lessen.  First, I had to make sure of my surroundings to be sure that I would not initiate a new slide to find the good news that the gravelly rock had gone over the edge and I was going to be able to safely establish footing.  Then I looked down at a gorgeous view of a river hundreds of feet below and I took time to relax.

Panic definition: a sudden overpowering fright!  Did I feel panic?  Absolutely by this definition.  But I've seen other definitions that include that fear leading to irrational behavior.  I did not have irrational behavior.  I didn't scramble and possibly throw myself over the edge.  I didn't faint.  I went totally into survival mode at a level I've never achieved in any other event in my life.

That response was my body mobilizing resources immediately to give me strength, speed and alertness.  I think I could have lifted the side of a car right then if that would have been necessary.  This is the whole purpose of successful panic in a body.  It is sometimes needed in the immediate.

Unfortunately, it can be very detrimental when fear rises without an immediate outlet, for mobilizing these forces over a sustained period of time is harmful to the body and doesn't lead to rational planning.  It leads to a fight or flight response when the proper response is patience.

The result in many people is rushing to stores in the time of our current pandemic, gathering in crowds, hoarding items unneeded, pushing and shoving.  Then it becomes difficult to sit still in isolation at home as the panic sweeps in waves of extreme fear with no effective outlet or action.  There is no clearly defined ledge, no gravel beneath your body, no action possible against an invisible threat.  It isn't even possible to know if you've already toppled over the edge and are really experiencing an unknown slow motion fall!

For once, we need to not listen to our bodies when they try to motivate us.  We need to listen to our minds.  We will get through this if we do and, afterward, we will appreciate a new perspective with maturity that appreciates the beauty of the river of time flowing below our feet, wending it way through the mountain passes of our lives!

And while that river flows, check out my blog mates' takes on the same topic from Ramana, Sanjana, Padmum and Shackman!

Comments

  1. So glad I wasn't your mother when you were twenty two. You don't first give birth and dote on the Apple of your Eye to then have hin/her walk a precipice. Actually you do - but that insight only comes years down the line when there is no return to BC (which you may read as both "before child" and "before corona").

    I see youe prose is as poetic as ever.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My prose doesn't flow forth with the ease of old just yet, but that rust is quickly working its way out. And, you are correct that my mother had times when it must have terrified her.

      Boys will be boys! Hopefully, they make it intact to become men. My own son has repaid my terrifying of my mother with terrifying adventures that we marvel at his survival.

      It is good to have you back!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. Who may I ask are you? Is this Rhonda?

      Delete
  3. Great reading you again Fossil and I see that you have not lost your touch. Just the right mixture of past, present and future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramana, it's easier to not lose a touch you never really had. But, thanks for the boost anyway!

      Delete
  4. No, that Unknown wasn't me. I'll try to identify myself whenever I do post because I can't figure out how to get my name at the top.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes for my grandchildren

The Most Heartbreaking Thing in my Life Now

Power