Courage

Courage

Intuitively, we kind of know what courage is, don't we?  There is the soldier facing the threats of combat:






Now, we also recognize the courage in  the grocery checker risking illness and possibly her life to provide food to the people sheltering in place in the age of coronavirus:




But, our intuition is not always precise, accurate, sharply honed.  It is an impression, a feeling.  What do these two have in common and what differs?  Do we all agree on what makes these people courageous?  I decided to go to the dictionary - two dictionaries actually - to see what they would have to say about the precise definition of courage.  Here is the first definition of courage:

the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc.,
 without fear.

And here is the second definition of courage that I found:

mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear,
 or difficulty

Note a key difference between the two. They show a profoundly different relationship to fear.  The first shows a quality where one has totally conquered any sense of fear or even that there was no fear in the first place.  The second includes fear as one of the challenges overcome by courage.  

The second is the more appealing to my intuitive sense.  What about yours?

Now for the voices of clarity I appreciate,check out my blog mates' takes on the same topic from Ramana, Sanjana, Padmum and Shackman!

Comments

  1. I think that I have addressed your question adequately in my post on the same subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go there with no doubt in my mind that you are correct!

      Delete
  2. Oh, definitely the second one. I'm not sure it can be courage without having fear, in my book! Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, way too many things in the human condition require fear as a trigger. Especially lying. To me that makes 45 one of the most scared individuals on the planet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on fear as a trigger and on 45 being a very fearful person. He views the entirety of humanity as a threat to him and always functions as though his back is to the wall.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sky's the Limit!

Why My Blog's Named Conrad Memories From the Future

Recipes for my grandchildren