Print Media

So ... what just exactly is print media.  Only places where ink physically exists on paper?  If that is the case, I miss newspapers (like them), I miss some magazines (not much) and I don't much miss books (at all).  My wife is different.  She is reading a physically printed book right now, a Ken Follett novel while I am reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood on my Kindle.  We are both happy.

But what of the birds condemned to cages?  Well, I think their life is cruelly abused anyway and a newspaper on the bottom of the cage doesn't improve it a lot.  Now, the dogs on the left?  Obviously that's a different story as you can see.

And there are other uses of the printed word.  It justifies the fantastic underground library Padmini has shown us.  It gives a preacher something of substance to thump when bringing the word of God to his flock.  It makes leaflets possible so that they can be handed out for the next revolution, something we may need pretty soon.  It allows poetry to feel differently in the hand than a textbook on calculus.  

Perhaps most importantly, it allows me to sit with my grandchildren on a couch, snuggled side-by-side as I read to them and show them pictures of Walter the Farting Dog.  We laugh till there are tears in our eyes!

That last may be the most important.  The tactile connection with the little ones.

Yeah ... we really need print media for that!

Please check out my other blog mates' takes on the same topic at their blogs, RamanaSanjanaPadmumRaju and Shackman!


Comments

  1. Grandkids are superb reasons for old fogies like us to get involved in wizardry with Harry Potter or Green Eggs and Hamas well as doghouse flying WWI flying acew that happen to be beagles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy grand parents who can read printed material to their grand children. On the other hand, since I use both the kindle and hard copy versions of books, the kind of books that I read may not be of any interest to them. For that matter, even to my fellow 6 on 1 bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must confess that i prefer a book though i have Kindles on most of my devices. I am reading Little Men, the sequel to Little Women...inspired by the movie actually. I have this habit of having at least 3 books being read at the same time...each one parked at different spots where i spend my leisure time. Books shared with grandkids are a special high...though mine always preferred my own made up stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Print media.
    Where would we be without it?
    I hate to think of a world where we have nothing to stack on the leaf sandwiched between sheets of wax paper. How would we elevate the computer monitor that is just a bit too low for proper ergonomic viewing? How would the small ones be able to sit at the dinner table when they are just a little too big for the high chair?
    I, for one, require many books, catalogs, and magazines in shelves and stacked about on flat surfaces all around my home. It helps me to breathe a bit easier when I think about the amount of dust these treasures have removed from the air. The single most terrifying thought when considering a world without print media is one of compassion and concern. I mean really, where will the silverfish live?!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sky's the Limit!

Recipes for my grandchildren

Why My Blog's Named Conrad Memories From the Future