Books vs e-readers

 


This is my current reading material in terms of books and e-readers.  As you can see, I am an ambibliophile - a totally made up word - who will read from the source that suits me.  The bound book contains ten novels that comprise a series.  The Kindle e-reader I share a library with my wife and my neighbor - with Amazon's blessing, by the way - contains 3,0000+ novels currently.  No preference, but I find the Kindle quite handy and much more convenient to hold and cart around.  My luggage won't hold 3,000+ novels, nor will my book shelves.

My wife on the other hand is reading solely from a bound book she borrowed from my Kindle neighbor's wife.  It is what she likes most.

I could end this blog piece right here, for I've told my essential stance.  Read the way you like, when you like.  I have no bias except the practical.  But ...

I have other friends who feel that there is something special about the bound book, the smell, the feel of the cover and the paper.  I assume they find a superiority in hardback as opposed to paperback.  Some will probably even tell you their favorite typeface.  I applaud them their feelings ... and turn to other topics or walk away.  You see, my preference is not for the book unless it has meaning for me as an object, bringing back memories of special times and places, but an object no less.  The Buddha mini statue that has traveled with me on all my journeys always in display since 1976 is an example of an object that brings memories and recall for its own associations.


Some books have travelled with me in much the same way.  My life has quite a few miles on the road and they have served well as guides and companions.


There are a few others, but not many at this point.  These are touchstones that I return to at times.  I had others that were taken (along with albums) along the way by those who found the opportunity of that which was unguarded.  Perhaps they are in needed and appreciated homes.

So. as with others, I have a bilateral relationship with books.  Some are things of value to me, many are treasured troves of meaning and inspiration.  They transport me to worlds this one often strives to be.  Just as my fellow blog mates quite obviously treasure the power, majesty and beauty of the written word, they no doubt will show you their collections and their preferences.  And they may even share an understanding inspiring and new to each of us.

Chuck the Shackman brought this topic to us.  See what he has to say along with Ramana and Sanjana at:

Comments

  1. I find myself using my Kindle more since I don't work across the street from the library. I can read at night without the bright light to keep Bob up. Also love it for traveling so I don't have to lug around a ton of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replace Bob with Carol and take the library out and I could say the totally identical thing.

      Delete
  2. Couldnot agree more with what you said- in fact my post reads somewnat similarly thoughIlisted stuff by name. Plus, I pointedout my Kindleallpws my tired old eyes to read much better with the font options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year that font issue becomes more important!

      Delete
  3. I suspect that at least the three old foggies in this group have similar approaches to the topic. Not surprising really, considering that these three are from the generation that grew up reading as a way to spend time before all the new fangled ways came in the way. It would be interesting to see what Sanjana has to say.

    And, I love the invented word ambibliophile!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes for my grandchildren

The Most Heartbreaking Thing in my Life Now

Power